Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Free Hug Campaign

This is a story of a guy who started giving free hugs to people, I've heard in Australia - to pass on the love.. I guess.

The writing with the video reads---------------------------------------------
Sometimes, a hug is all what we need. Free hugs is a real life controversial story of Juan Mann, A man whos sole mission was to reach out and hug a stranger to brighten up their lives.
In this age of social disconnectivity and lack of human contact, the effects of the Free Hugs campaign became phenomenal.
As this symbol of human hope spread accross the city, police and officials ordered the Free Hugs campaign BANNED. What we then witness is the true spirit of humanity come together in what can only be described as awe inspiring.




After watching this, which was approximately a month ago or something, I was inspired deeply and decided to do this myself, but not to strangers but to my friends. To give my friends hugs whenever I meet them.
The only problem is that because we are not used to doing this, I myself was uneasy about when to give the hugs and how, and the persons being hugged themselves sometimes did not know how to properly hug, they felt like stiff logs.
As if you couldn't go through to them no matter what.. it felt like I could feel their walls or something. Also I think some people thought hugs should be reserved for the few... real occassions.

Afterwards, I've returned to the three times kissing on the cheeks or handshakes or nothings/niks- and hugs just for the rare moments when it is needed... such as meeting my friends who I haven't met for a long time, or when someone needs to be lifted up emotionally... or when I felt a connection with someone. To add on the physical side to the emotional side, its nice to have a "heart to heart"...

No comments: