Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Asparagus made my urine smell... well more nutty.


I had never tried asparagus before I came to the flat lands.
the first time I had it was when one of my ex had served it to me two years back, thought it was quite "strange"
Whichever the case, due to the fact that Brabant is Asparagus land, I had to buy some and eat it...
had no idea how to cook it eat it, didn't know you had to peel the bottom etc.

Here is something I also had no idea on..

Asparagus makes your urine smell nutty instead of the normal scent of lilacs and roses...

If you don't believe me check out this very reputable site or better yet a whole column on it by an MD. (or just have some asparagus yourself - or follow someone who just had them into the restroom and ask them for a sample smell)

I have to say although they say asparagus makes your urine smell "funny", I thought it just smelled nutty or like yeast or beer. Not those largers or weak beer but more ale or trappist beer types... so much that I thought I had a yeast infection or something- without the itching!

The smell is so that it is said that in a venerable British men's club there is a sign reading "DURING THE ASPARAGUS SEASON MEMBERS ARE REQUESTED NOT TO RELIEVE THEMSELVES IN THE HATSTAND."[cited]

The smell must be really renowned for there is even a site that sells t-shirts which has a whole section of "asparagus makes my urine smell" section.


Its amazing the valuable information you get to learn every day in life...

4 comments:

davemee said...

There's a gene which controls this, so some people make smelly wee, and some don't.

Oddly, mine smelly 'smoky' to me, and I will always demonstrate my geneoogy to anyone around.

davemee said...

That 'preview' button
(1) excuses blogger from having an 'edit' button from when I
(2) spell 'geneology' wrong.

insatiable hee said...

I think your urine smells of smoke because you smoke.
Mine always smell like coffee or creme when I drink coffee...
but usually it doesn't really have a strong distinctive scent to it, with the exception of beer smell which I get more than often due to beer drinking the night prior

[publish!]

Unknown said...

My urine smells like urine. Is that because I,...no, please, don't tell me that...I must be a victim of a strange variation of sleep-walking or something....
Someone's got any idea?